Roast Pumpkin Soup
Can you believe I still had a pumpkin left over from Halloween? We bought a pumpkin for each of our children to carve on the actual evening of Halloween, but then ran out of time to actually carry out the carving…and it never happened. For months they have been staring at me from the huge amount of space they have taken up on the kitchen worktop, so it was time to take a deep breath and dive into cutting, chopping and cooking them into something more than a kitchen ornament.
So here is an adapted roast pumpkin soup recipe, free from dairy and gluten.
Splash of oil (I used coconut oil)
1-1.5 litres vegetable stock
tin of coconut milk
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the pumpkin into 8 segments, scooping out the seeds and pulp. Brush/spray with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, place on a baking tray and roast for 25-30 mins at 180 c, until soft.
- Dice the onion and cook on a low heat with a little oil for 10-15 mins.
- Scoop out the roasted pumpkin from its skin and add to the pan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Continue to cook on a low heat for 15-20 mins.
- Blend the soup to desired consistency, add more stock, salt & pepper if needed.